Friday, August 1, 2008

A productive week

What a week we've had here!

It started out on Monday with doctor appointments for both Landon and I, him first. Every time we go to register at the pediatrician's office the receptionist asks if this is our first visit. I know that they must see a TON of people rolling through that place, but dang, we've been there SOOO many times now I don't think I could count them all up. Weight check after weight check after weight check, surely Dr. Lande is getting sick and tired of seeing us. This time I was armed with some additional stuff, possibly part of the reason Landon hasn't been gaining weight or eating as we would like him to eat. I borrowed the book Colic Solved by Bryan Vartabedian, MD from DayOne (a really cool center for new and expectant moms in Walnut Creek, they have classes and a lending library and a lactation consultant and a retail shop) that one of the lactation consultants pulled for me about colic and reflux. I brought the book home and read it cover to cover that evening as I sat with Mr. Fussypants. By the third chapter I had the biggest ahaa moment ever, that was my Landon they were describing:
  • Spitting and vomiting
  • Constant hiccups
  • Feeding disturbances
  • Chronic irritability
  • Discomfort when lying on the back
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Chronic cough and/or congestion

Check, check, BIG check, check, check, little check, check. I brought up my concern with Dr. Lande who halfway dismissed the thought but ordered an upper GI and a perscription for Zantac.

Fast forward to Wednesday when Landon had his upper GI. It went really smoothly much to my surprise. Mark took the day off of work to go with us and it was so nice having him there. Landon took the barium without a problem, he actually liked it (they mix the powder with sugar water, I think we've got a little sweet tooth guy on our hands) and was upset when we took it away. The doctor performing the test was great, he showed us what he was doing and explained what he saw, that everything looked normal anatomically. As Landon sat on the table with the cameras going it captured a big reflux spasm but no spit up (what they call silent reflux since you don't know it's happening normally). At that point he told us that Landon does in fact have reflux and we didn't need to continue with the test.

We started the Zantac that night and the little guy HATES taking it. I've never seen a baby give dirty looks, but Landon sure does when we try and give him the medicaiton. He hesitates to swallow it and scrunches his face all up. I don't blame him, the stuff tastes like crap, but he's got to take it.

His doctor called this morning and said the most glorious words I've heard in a while, "you were right, good job for listening to your bahy's cues." Of course, I'm not happy that he's got reflux, things would be much easier if he didn't, but it feels good to know that we've got an answer and can move forward with treating it and get the little guy to plump up. Of course it was nice to also feel validated that I'm not pulling symptoms out of thin air and making things up as I go along, as I suspected his doctor thought on Monday. As of Monday Landon was up to 7 pounds 14 ounces, yesterday he was at 8 pounds 2 ounces!

Now, if only we could get the thrush to go away perhaps we'd be in business. I've still got it (hence, my appointment on Monday), we're still giving Landon meds for it, and I can't wait for it to be gone.

No comments: