Monday, March 22, 2010

It's the small things

Life with a toddler slows you down. The term 'baby steps' has new meaning and the mind of a toddler is a thirsty sponge that never seems to saturate. Everything is new and amazing and full of wonder and refreshing.

I found myself driving to work after dropping Landon off at daycare last week, stuck in traffic, still listening to the Barenaked Ladies Snacktime CD (those songs are kinda catchy) and admiring an airplane flying high above my little SUV. I knew Landon wasn't in the car with me, I looked back at his carseat through my rearview mirror a little sad that he wasn't there for me to point it out for him. So I sat there in the middle of what must have been tens upon tens of cars waiting fairly impatiently to get to their destination, and I smiled as I watched that airplane move across the sky. Suddenly the traffic didn't seem so bad.

As much as I know I'm teaching that little sponge of mine, he's returning the favor whether he knows it right now or not.