Friday, March 13, 2009

The Outside World

Nine months ago today we were waiting with baited breath to find out whether or not the doctors were going to let us go home. I had already been given my walking papers, but the doctors were contemplating keeping Landon in the nursery. I was trying to come to terms with leaving the hospital without my baby, something I never expected, and something that thankfully never happened.

I'm amazed at just how far we've come - all three of us - in the last nine months. There have been ups and downs, but all in, I don't think I'd trade any single bit of it (okay, maybe a few more hours of sleep would be nice, but that's just icing on the cake).

Landon had his well baby visit earlier this week and is up to a hefty 17 pounds 3 ounces! Just nine months ago today we were all concerned that his weight dropped down to 5 pounds 11 ounces. He's holding steady for both weight and height in the 6th percentile today when nine months ago he wasn't even on the charts. His little brain is growing too, he's jumped up to the 64th percentile in head circumference. Oh, and we're still breastfeeding - I never thought I'd see this day.

He's almost ready to crawl now and rocks on all fours but prefers to keep himself mobile by rolling everywhere. He LOVES everything about outside and is quite the observant little guy. His changing table isn't his favorite place anymore and it's becoming increasingly difficult to command his attention long enough to change his diaper. He absolutely loves Cheerios and has learned the sign for "more." He smiles and claps and loves it when everyone else in the room is smiling and clapping too. His absolute favorite thing in the world is bathtime. He's a little fish and we're scoping out swimming lessons for him as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. Landon is a Dr. Seuss lover and thinks "Put Me In the Zoo" "Go Dog, Go" and "Mr. Brown Can Moo" are tons more fun than "Goodnight Moon."

I love watching Daddy and Landon together, what a pair! Landon seems to save his biggest smiles and belly laughs for Daddy. Landon loves to "fly" and pull Daddy's hair when he's sitting on his shoulders. I'm in awe of Mark as a father and am so glad it's him that I'm on this journey of life, love, and parenthood with.

Now, if only the laundry would fold itself, the dishes would grow legs and walk into the dishwasher, the dust rags would dance across the tables and ledges magically, and the dogs would pick up after themselves. Then, life would be perfect. I'll take it as it is any day though, there's not much to improve upon.

No comments: