Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ear Infections

Every time Landon gets a cold he ends up with an ear infection in at least one if not both ears. They alway seem to wreak the most havoc at night...when the doctor's office is closed and the only option for relief is to go to the Emergency Room. Well, that's at least two of the four ear infections he's had. Yes, I said four. Four ear infections in fourteen months. UGH, my poor little guy.

We've all been passing a cold around since Monday. It seems to be a short lived cold, but still a cold. Guess what? Yup, ear infection for Landon. I thought we might escape this one since he seemed to be better and his ears hadn't been bothering him. I thought too soon apparently. I picked him up from Irma's on Friday afternoon where by her account he'd been having a pretty good day. We get home and he was super fussy. I thought for sure it was because it's been quite a week over here, I'm on crutches because I fell and sprained my ankle so I haven't been able to play and carry Landon as much as usual. I thought he was wanting some attention with his fussiness since he was super clingy. Fast forward to bedtime, it did not go well. Sca-reeeming. At the top of his lungs. Writhing. I got him to sleep once, put him down in his crib, screaming started again immediately and continued for a solid four hours. Tylenol, Motrin, ear drops...nothing helped. After a call to the advice nurse who offered us an appointment for the following day we decided that it just couldn't wait. Landon was so, so, so uncomfortable and inconsolable at that point. Nobody was able to sleep, neighbors included I'm sure, so off to the ER we went.

We got in and out of that place in less than two hours with antibiotics for the little guy. The verdict - both ears infected. I hate that we had to trek all the way over there in the middle of the night, but at least by the time the morning would come around he'd have some antibiotics on board and hopefully be feeling better sooner than if we had waited for an appointment.

Landon is feeling better already and we're all happy to have our smiley guy back. Ear infections are NO fun.

No comments: